DIY Festive Friendsgiving Table
Friendsgiving is a time to celebrate the bounty of the harvest season without the stress that often comes along with extended family gatherings. The menu is easy enough: The host provides a turkey or vegetarian main, and the guests bring along sides, potluck-style. Getting the table ready doesn’t need to be a headache, either. With some beautiful pieces of fine paper, a touch of inspiration, and a dash of creativity, you can transform an everyday table into a feast-worthy masterpiece.
Follow our guide to craft centerpieces, name cards, and table runners that strike just the right balance of casual and elegant — just like your Friendsgiving feast.
Things You’ll Need:
Table Runner: Make a sweet statement with a simple paper table runner. It’ll make your dishes pop, and mean one less load of laundry at the end of the night!
- Measure your table lengthwise, allowing an extra three-feet for each side.
- Using sturdy paper bag wrapping paper, lay the paper out on the table and make sure it is centered, width-wise.
- Using your hands, make a crease on the paper and mark where the table ends.
- Hand-letter your table message with chalk ink markers, centering it between the creases and the ends of the paper.
Centerpiece: With a table full of dishes and glasses, and plenty of lively conversations, you don’t need an over-the-top Friendsgiving centerpiece. A few decorated pumpkins add a dose of whimsy to the tablescape without taking up too much space.
- Choose a medium-sized pumpkin.
- Use paints in your choice of colors, autumnal-themed paper leaves, and other natural elements, like greens, berries, and pinecones, to decorate and embellish the pumpkin.
- Place the pumpkin in the center of the table, and arrange greens and paper leaves around the pumpkins.
Name Cards: Even though Friendsgiving isn’t formal, guests will appreciate having assigned seats to avoid confusion before the feast. Keep it light hearted with turkey-themed name cards that won’t take up too much space at each place setting.
- Create name cards using our honeycomb turkey place cards and pens. Simply unfold the honeycomb turkey and write each guest’s name on each individual card.
- Place a name card in the center of the dish for each place setting.
Utensil Holders: Keep cutlery organized on the tabletop with a handmade utensil holder. A sleek paper sleeve will tidy up forks, knives, spoons, and napkins.
- Using your choice of fine paper, measure out two or three inch paper strips. They should be long enough to easily wrap around a folded napkin. Optional: Cut a slightly larger band of colored paper and place it below the first for a layered effect.
- Choose a stamp and ink to personalize the band.
- Wrap each band around a bundle of cutlery atop a napkin, and afix the band in the back with a small strip of tape using a tape runner.
- Place each package to the side of each guest’s place setting.
Treat Boxes and Festive Masks: Cute, creative gifts make special mementos for your Friendsgiving guests to remember a night of gratitude and great food.
- Fill treat boxes with tissue paper and nestle a few tempting candies, like salted caramel chocolates, into the paper.
- Using our Turkey Mask Kit, craft a mask for every guest, and hang them over the back of each chair where they’ll be ready to grab for a photo opp.
These small, personal touches will make your table shine so that you and your friends can focus on enjoying the company and feasting on every delicious dish.