This Mother’s Day, combine two things everyone loves receiving- gorgeous flowers and thoughtful homemade gifts- to create a crepe paper bouquet for the most special lady in your life! It can be hard to put into words how your love for her just keeps on growing, so say it with beautiful blooms she can treasure forever.
What You’ll Need:
- Floral Tape & Floral Wire Kit
- Sunshine Yellow Paper
- Pink Crepe Paper
- Green Crepe Paper
- Tacky Glue
- Decorative Scissors (Optional)
- Peony ColorBox Inkpad (Optional)
- Jumbo Dauber Sponge Applicator (Optional)
- Watercolor Paints (Optional)
- Paintbrush (Optional)
- Grass ColorBox Inkpad (Optional)
Here’s the step-by-step to make a single bloom. Make as many as you want to complete the bouquet!
Making the center
- Cut a 2″ x 11″ strips of sunshine paper.
- Using scissors, cut fringe about 1/8″ wide and 1.5″ long, leaving 1/2″ uncut.
- Apply tacky glue to the uncut area and roll the fringe tightly around the floral wire.
- Cut petals out of crepe paper. We’ve provided a free template download you can use to trace and cut. When you do this, make sure the grain of your crepe paper runs parallel to the height of the petal.
- Curl the petals using a cupping technique. Cupping: hold petal between thumbs and forefingers and stretch outward and upwards.
- Optional: For an extra realistic touch, trim the tips of the petals with decorative scissors. Add color to the edges by brushing them with an ink dauber or painting them with watercolor.
- You’re ready to form your flower! Place tacky glue on the base of the smallest petal and adhere to the fringed center. Continue to add petals (going from smallest to largest), being sure to slightly overlap the petals as you go.
- Wrap the base of the flower and the stem with floral tape. Use one hand to twist the flower and the other to hold and stretch the floral tape, applying it to the stem at a downward angle.
Leaves + Stem
- Cut leaves from the green crepe paper using the provided PDF template.
- (Optional) Lightly daub the crepe paper with Grass ColorBox ink to add extra color.
- Using tacky glue, adhere smallest leaves under the bloom. For a more natural look, vary the placement of the different small leaf shapes.
- Once the glue has dried, apply another layer of floral tape.
- Apply tacky glue to the base of the larger leaves and curl slightly around floral wire.
- Attach leaves to stem by twisting floral wire around the main stem.
- Wrap floral tape around the branches of the leaves to attach them to the main stem.
- Make a small ball of pink crepe paper. Glue together with tacky glue.
- (Optional) Add color by daubing with the Peony ink.
- Attach the bud to the floral wire with tacky glue.
- Make petals and leaves using template provided and attach using the techniques listed above.