Claudia, a member of the Paper Source Design Team, creates many of our terrific kits. Today, she offers up a project that is perfect for back-to-school. Learn to make an extra-special Chalkboard Pencil Box using one of our paper maché boxes.
Start with the following materials:
- Dexter Pencil Box
- Chalkboard Paint
- Teal and White Twill Ribbon
- Neon Washi Tape Set
- White Chalk
- Poly Brushes
- Heavy Duty 1/8″ Punch
- Paint top, sides and inside (optional) of pencil box using chalkboard paint and poly brush. Paint 2-3 coats, allowing box to fully dry in between coats.
- Decorate with washi tape as desired.
- Use a ruler and pencil to mark the center of the box approximately 1/2″ in from the bottom edge of the lid and on the front side of the box, approximately 1/2″ from the bottom.
- Punch holes and thread a length of ribbon through each hole, securing ribbons in place with knots on the inside.
- Prior to use, rub the entire surface you will be writing on with chalk.
- Wipe off and use chalk to write desired name, message or a design of your own!
- Now your custom box is ready to fill with back-to-school goodies!
With a craft this easy, you can make one for all of your kids. (And maybe the teacher, too. Who knows? There may be bonus points awarded!)