If you’re having a New Years party or are looking for New Years activities for your family, you must make these glittery gold New Years party hats! CBS 2 Chicago (click to view) even featured them as a fun way to get kids involved at New Years. You could, of course, use this party hat design in different colors with different stamped messages for other celebratory occasions!
PS colors: gravel & beet
Latest fave: Tree Trunk Tea Light and Japanese 8 1/4″ Scissors
How to New Years Party Hats PDF
8 1/2″ x 11″ Cover Weight Paper (Eco-White & Shimmer Gold)
8 1/2″ x 11″ Text Weight Paper (Black & Shimmer Silver)
1/4″ Super Tacky Tape
Happy New Year Rubber Stamp
VersaMark Watermark Inkpad
Metallic Silver Embossing Powder
Embossing Powder Heat Tool
Clear Adhesive Crystals
1/4″ Black Satin Ribbon
Foam Square Adhesives
1/8″ Hole Punch
6″ Guillotine Trimmer (optional)
1. Cut one 4″ strip of super tacky tape. Apply to upper left corner of Shimmer Gold cover paper as shown (see A in PDF) and set aside.
2. Using scissors or guillotine trimmer, create fringe topper by cutting one sheet each of Shimmer Silver and Black text paper in half widthwise. Make fringe cuts along 8 1/2″ side approximately 1/8″ apart, making sure to leave approximately 2″ uncut at opposite end for rolling (B). Roll fringed paper around pencil tightly, secure with tape and remove pencil. Curl fringe with bone folder. Center fringed tube on the sheet of 8 1/2 x 11″ Shimmer Gold cover paper that was prepped with tape earlier (C). Form cone shape, then unpeel super tape backing and press firmly to temporarily hold in place (D).
3. Cone needs to be permanently secured with brads. Do this by making small holes with an xacto knife where indicated (E). Insert brads into holes and fasten in place.
4. Stamp “Happy New Year” onto Eco-White cover paper with VersaMark inkpad. Sprinkle with Metallic Silver embossing powder. Shake off excess powder and heat with embossing heat tool. Cut phrase out with slight outline and adhere onto front of hat with two foam squares.
5. Punch 1/8″ holes at side of hat and thread approximately 24″ of black ribbon through holes. Knot ribbon at both ends with knots on inside of hat. Place on head and pull knots downward to tighten (F).
6. To add sparkle, stick adhesive gems all over surface of hat, including brads as pictured.