Here is a fun way to make use of leftover paper, gift wrap scraps or this year’s old calendar pages, while also getting into the holiday spirit – make an origami paper wreath! With just a few folds it’s really simple and fun. Surprisingly sturdy, these wreath decorations are lovely to hang on doors and windows, and miniature versions are great on top of gift packages or hung on the tree. Try using holiday colors for homemade holiday decorations.
1. Cut 8 sheets of rectangle paper the same size where the length is double the width. The sheet size will depend on how large you want the wreath to be (as a sample, the wreaths in the photo use 5″ x 10″ sheets). Choose your favorite paper or mix and match patterned and solid styles.
2. Fold each sheet of paper down the center lengthwise (use a bone folder to make your folds nice and crisp). If using a patterned paper, make sure the pattern is showing when folded.
3. With the folded paper horizontal and the open edge at the top, fold down the corners (bring the top two corners down to meet the bottom edge of the paper, forming 45 degree angles).
4. Then fold the paper in half widthwise, keeping the angled flaps inside. Bring the points flush together. This is the final shape for each individual piece (3 straight sides, 1 angled side).
5. Repeat these steps for all 8 pieces of paper.
6. Take one of the pieces and hold the points together – look inside the shortest edge of the shape to find two pockets formed by the angled edges of the paper. Insert the points of a second piece into the two pockets of the first piece – push the second piece into the first until the points touch the bottom of the pocket.
7. Take a third piece and repeat step 6 using the pockets of the second piece…and so on. You will see your wreath take form as you build and repeat.
8. On the eighth and final piece the tips of the first piece will insert into its pockets, completing the circle. The center of your wreath should form an octagon shape.
9. Make adjustments to your pieces to even out the shape. For added strength, use small pieces of double stick tape inserted within the pockets to hold pieces firmly in place.
10. To hang your wreath, add ribbon by looping through the center of the wreath, or use a 1/8″ hole punch through one of the points then thread ribbon through.