Writing Resources for Greeting Cards & More
Finding the perfect Paper Source card is easy, but what do you write in it? Creating a memorable, funny or heartfelt message can be daunting. For this reason, we’ve collected an abundance of prompts fit for any occasion.
Never show up to a birthday party empty handed! Gifting a birthday card is the perfect way to tell them how much you really care. Fill your card with a message fitting for the guest of honor. A funny or meaningful card will be sure to catch their eye. No matter how much confetti, gifts or balloons are at the party, we can assure you a card with any of these messages will be the icing on the cake!
- In this card I’m going to share the secret to staying young... lie about your age.
- Congratulations on getting slightly older!
- Happy Birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.
- In wine years, you are extra fine.
- Dibs on all the presents you don’t want!
- Smart, good looking and funny... but enough about me. Happy Birthday!
- It is scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer.
- Hope your birthday is as special as you are.
- You’re my favorite person to celebrate. Happy, happy day to you!
- I hope you know what a gift you are to the world (and to me).
- Celebrating you is always easy. Happy Birthday!
- If it were up to me, all your wishes would come true.
- Another year of you is enough for all of us to celebrate.
- May this birthday be just the beginning of a year filled with happy memories and wonderful moments.
What better way to express your gratitude than with a thank you card? A thank you card is essential; whether someone welcomed you into their home, treated you to a gift or unexpected surprise, helped you during a time of need or took time out of their day to speak with you. Any friendly action should be honored, and writing a memorable, heartfelt thank you card is the perfect way to show your appreciation.
How to Write a Thank You Card:
- Start with a salutation
- Express your thanks and gratitude with a statement
- Insert a specific detail or two
- Add a personal touch
- Restate your thanks
- Add a closing statement and sign the note
Messages for Gifts:
- How in the world did you know exactly what I needed but never asked for?
- You made me feel so special when I opened your gift. I know that you spent time, effort and energy to make sure it was awesome, and it was just that. Thank you.
- Your creativity and attention to detail is truly outstanding. Thank you for the gift!
- Thank you for the generous gift. You didn’t have to, but you’re the kind of person who does, and I really appreciate it.
- What a thoughtful way to show you care. Thank you so much for the gift!
- Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your gift meant the world to me. Not only that, I’m thankful to have a friend like you and hope we get to hang out soon.
- You mean a lot to me and so did your gift. Thank you so much!
Messages for Services:
- Thank you for your help. Please accept this card as a symbol of my sincere gratitude for everything you’ve done.
- I’m very lucky to have a friend like you. My deepest gratitude for all your help - you’re the best! Thank you.
- Thank you for all that you’ve done. If ever you need me to return the favor, know that I’m here. You’re a great friend.
- Thank you a million times over for your support. You went above and beyond and I’m blown away.
- Thank you very much for helping me out when I needed it. You helped me more than you might have thought and I hope you know that I’m very grateful. Thank you again.
Messages for Sympathy:
- Thank you for your sympathy and kindness.
- We are grateful for friends like you at this time of sorrow.
- Thank you for thinking of our family during this difficult time. Your card was sincerely appreciated.
- Thank you for the stories and memories you shared. They truly helped our family and highlighted what a special person [name] was.
- Your words were so kind and very much appreciated in these tough times. You are such a thoughtful friend, and it meant so much to have you with us.
- The last few weeks have been difficult, but your beautiful card helped shed a little bit of happiness. Thanks so much for your thoughts.
Messages for Business:
To Your Boss:
- I’m grateful for all the ways you make life at work so much better.
- My success is due, in part, to your guidance and advice.
- Thanks for being the best boss ever!
To Your Coworker:
- Your talents and hard work make things run a lot smoother around here.
- I’m so happy you are part of our team. Thank you for all that you do.
- Thank you so much for tackling that project with me. Our success wouldn’t be possible without your impressive skills.
To Your Client:
- I’m so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to work with you. Please keep me in mind for future projects.
- Thanks for putting your trust in me.
- I’m always here if you have any questions. Thanks for being a loyal, long-term customer.
Celebrate life's successes with a congratulations card! Those who work extra hard to achieve their goals deserve a big congrats. Graduations, engagements, job promotions, new homes, pregnancies... there’s so much in life to celebrate! Find the perfect words to cheer on and congratulate your friends and family on their achievements and milestones.
When to Send a Congratulations Card:
- Passing a driving test
- Landing a new job
- Receiving a promotion at work
- Having a baby or adopting
- Getting accepted into a dream school
- Making a large purchase (car, house, etc.)
- Receiving an award/certification
- Getting engaged
- Passing an exam or test
- Reaching a milestone for a long-term goal
- It’s about both the journey and the destination. Enjoy!
- All your hard work has paid off! Congratulations!
- You’re more than deserving of all the successes coming your way.
- I hope you’ll accept my best wishes and congratulations on the big news!
- One more fantastic chapter to add to the book of your life. Congrats!
- It is your own very special moment in time. Take it all in and enjoy!
- See? This is all the good karma you’ve put out there coming right back at you.
- Today is the day you’ve been waiting for, and we are so happy for you.
No wedding is complete without an abundance of cards! From the engagement, to the shower, to the wedding, and finally post wedding, cards are essential throughout the entire process.
It is no secret that the perfect wedding card is only made complete when paired with a sincere, endearing, and sentimental message. It can be difficult to put your thoughts into words, especially when you care so much for the recipient. The following prompts will help you construct the perfect message to celebrate marriage whether it may be formal, casual, or funny.
- I just knew it was only a matter of time. Congratulations to you both!
- Congratulations! Wishing you happy times ahead as you plan your wedding.
- If ever a couple deserved this much happiness, it’s you two!
- Who said you guys were allowed to get engaged without my permission? Oh well, you can have my blessing anyway.
- Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart. Congrats!
- So happy for the both of you. And I can’t wait to celebrate this new chapter of your loves with you.
- May your joining together bring you more joy than you can imagine.
Wedding Shower Card:
- I’m so happy you are getting married. You are going to make the most beautiful bride ever. Wishing you more love and happiness than you can ever imagine.
- A sunny day begins with a shower! Wishing you great happiness for every day of your union as husband and wife.
- Wishing you a wedding filled with romance, a marriage filled with love, and a lifetime filled with happiness.
- It will be a magical moment when you two say, “I do."
- Congratulations on finding Mr. Right. Wishing you all the best on your special day and we hope you have a great future together.
- Wishing you all the best in the lead up to the big day. We hope your planning makes for a special and memorable day for you both.
From Guest to Couple:
- Congratulations to you both on finding the perfect person to share all your days with.
- Thank you for inviting us to your wedding. It’s an honor to share in such a beautiful and important celebration with you.
- Congratulations on your wedding day. May today be the beginning of a long and happy life together.
- May Facebook notifications always save you from forgetting your anniversary.
- Best wishes as you annoy each other for the rest of your lives.
- Sending you prayers for a marriage filled with love and joy.
- Wishing you guys fun-filled adventures in married life.
From Couple to Wedding Party:
- Having you in our wedding meant so much to us. Thank you for helping out in any and every way you could during our special day. You will forever remain a fun part of our wedding memories.
- We loved having you stand beside us on our wedding day. Thank you for joining us in celebration and making our day unforgettable. We couldn’t have done it without you!
- Thank you so much for being part of our day and for all the love and support you’ve given us. We can’t wait to share more meaningful experiences with you!
From Couple to Guests:
- Thank you so much for joining us on our special day!
- We are so incredibly blessed to have you in our lives. Our wedding wouldn’t have been the same without you there!
- Our day was even more memorable having you there to celebrate with us.
- We are truly grateful for your presence at our wedding, and for the hilarity shared on the dance floor. What a night!
For more wedding card inspiration make sure to check out our Thank Yous from the Newlyweds page.
After spending countless hours learning in class, reading in the library, and studying with friends, it’s finally time to celebrate. Send your graduate on their way with words of praise and encouragement. Their hard work and ambitious attitude deserve to be acknowledged and a graduation card is the perfect way to do just that. Study some of our message ideas that are sure to make any grad toss their cap in appreciation!
High School Graduates:
- Congratulations and good luck at [insert college]!
- Graduation is an exciting time. It marks the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Best of luck!
- We’re very proud of you for graduating high school, and happy about your college acceptance! Best of luck on the road ahead.
- Congratulations on graduating high school. Good luck starting college this fall, and be sure to visit us when you’re back in town!
- We can’t wait to see what’s in store for you as you embark on your post-high school journey. Congratulations graduate!
- Your future is bright. For all the times of late night studies, lack of sleep and sacrifice of enjoyment your reward is here. Congratulations to you!
- Find a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life. Congratulations on the hard-earned degree.
- May your degree unlock many doors to the success you very well deserve. Congratulations!
- You worked so hard for this degree, but it is everything that you learned that will propel you to success.
Short Graduation Messages:
- Caps off to you!
- Congrats, you did it!
- This is only the beginning. Congratulations!
- Way to go, grad!
- Imagine the possibilities!
- We’re proud of you and all of your accomplishments. Way to go!
- Happy Graduation Day!
Funny Graduation Messages:
- Your brain is now worth thousands... and you have the receipt to prove it!
- Can’t wait to celebrate your college graduation! You probably have a great bash planned, especially with all the experience under your belt.
- Good looks, brains, heart, and now a diploma too? You’ve really got it all! Congrats!
- My hope for you is that your amazing college memories last longer than your student loans.
- Did you ever think this day would come? Yeah me either!
- Now it’s time to enter the real world. Don’t worry, none of us know what we’re doing either.
Inspirational Graduation Messages:
- Shoot for the stars and if you miss you’ll land among stars.
- Don’t be afraid to carve out your own path. You have all of the tools you need.
- This degree is a stepping stone to assist you in realizing your full potential. Congratulations!
- Remember to embrace life with passion. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for you.
- Take this greatest achievement and turn your dreams into your plans.
- Congrats on your graduation. We bet you feel like you can take on the world, and you can. But remember we’ll always be here for you.
Sending a card wishing your condolences is never easy, and finding the right words to say may feel impossible. It’s important to remember that sometimes the act of sending a card means just as much as the message written inside. In order to help you pour out your heart, we’ve constructed a list of potential messages. These ideas are here to simply inspire you and should be tweaked to better fit the needs of the recipient. It’s okay to write a few drafts before constructing the perfect message. Sympathy cards are emotional and intimidating to write. Just remember that any effort you put out will be heavily appreciated during a time of loss. So, let your loved ones know love and support them during this time of grieving.
It’s important to know that there is never a “perfect” time to send a sympathy card. You want the recipient to know that you care and are thinking of them during this time. Regardless of when you learn of the death, it is polite to send a handwritten letter.
What to Send After a Death (Other Than Flowers):
- Sympathy card with message
- Homemade or comfort food
- Offer assistance or help wherever needed
- Send a basket of gourmet sweets and treats
- Self-care gifts (journals, spa pass, bath salts, etc)
- Comforting blankets and bedding
- Photos the family doesn’t have
- Something for the kids (stuffed animals, coloring books, movies, etc.)
Prompts for a Sympathy Card:
- Tell a funny story about the loved one who passed
- Offer services for the recipient (babysitting, house cleaning, cooking, etc.)
- Describe the best qualities and personality traits of the deceased
- Recall your favorite memory with the loved one who passed
Condolences for a Death:
- You and your family are in my thoughts as you mourn the loss of a loved one.
- Sending love, thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this tough time.
- May you find all the comfort and strength in the warmth and caring of friends and family.
- I wanted to express my deepest condolences to you and your family during this sad time. [Name] will truly be missed.
- My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you in this time of immeasurable sadness.
- May your loving memories ease your mind during this difficult time.
Condolences to a Coworker:
- We are so lucky to have you as a member of our office and are saddened to hear of your loss. Please know you are in our thoughts.
- This office is with you in your thoughts during this time of healing.
- We are so sorry to have learned about your loss. We are here for you however you need.
- You have become part of our family here and we are so saddened to hear of your loss. You are in our thoughts.
- I am so sorry for your loss, if there is anything I can do to help during this time don’t hesitate to ask.
Loss of a Baby:
- You’re both in my thoughts as you navigate the grief of losing your baby.
- I’m so sorry for your loss. Please know that each new life, no matter how brief, forever changes the world. I hope you find comfort in that thought.
- A child is always with us. First in their lifetime, then forever in our memory.
- I hope you find strength in loved ones and family to help you get through this awful tragedy.
- I imagine there is no deeper pain than losing a child. My heart and prayers go out to you at this most difficult time.
Loss of a Pet:
- When pets leave us, it can seem so sudden and cruel. I’m deeply saddened to know that your furry friend has passed on. You have my deepest sympathy.
- Our pets never truly leave us. They live on as memories that we will cherish forever.
- Having to make the decision to put down your beloved pet is heartbreaking. But you were the best owner they could have had and your courage in putting their well being first is admirable. You have my deepest sympathies.
- You gave [Name] the most wonderful, exciting and loving life possible. They were lucky to have an owner like you!
- Losing a furry friend in such a sudden way is heartbreaking. Accept my most heartfelt condolences.
What to Write on a Funeral Flower Bouquet:
- Please accept these flowers and hear the words we are not able to speak.
- I hope you find these flowers as beautiful as [Name]’s spirit, and know I’m thinking of you in this sad time.
- May these flowers offer a little light during these difficult times.
- We are so sorry to learn of the passing of [Name]. Hoping these flowers can contribute toward the beautiful service she/he deserves.
The birth or adoption of a child is one of the most important moments for any couple. The process of having a baby is long anticipated so it’s important to support the parents throughout the duration of the event. Show the parents how excited you are to see their baby grow and find a place in this world. From pacifiers, to toddler beds, to kindergarten their lives are about to be flipped upside down. Take the first step towards celebrating this little one by sending a handwritten baby card!
Baby Shower Card:
- We’re so happy to hear the wonderful news! We’re really excited for you both and hope babyhood brings lots of amazing and long-lasting memories.
- Funny how such a tiny thing can take up so much space in our hearts. Congratulations on the little one.
- Congratulations on your pregnancy! We are looking forward to meeting the newest member of the family!
- Thanks for inviting us to share your baby shower celebrations. Warmest congratulations on your precious new baby!
- Plenty of good wishes and big kisses are coming your way! Congratulations on your upcoming little one, we’re so excited for your growing family.
- Wishing you an easy delivery and a lifetime of happiness!
Celebrating a Newborn:
- Congratulations on the arrival of your happy and healthy newborn! We hope you enjoy this special time and make lots of wonderful memories. Looking forward to meeting them and sending all our best wishes.
- So happy for you three. That’s going to be one lucky baby!
- We hope the birth of your beautiful new baby will be the beginning of an incredibly wonderful journey for you and your family.
- We’re so excited that your baby has arrived safe and sound. Lots of Love.
- The most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck are the arms of your children.
- Not one but two! This is going to be double the fun.
- This comes with a bundle of wishes for your cute little bundles of joy. Congratulations on your twins!
- Having twins means that the parents never have to fight over who gets to hold the baby. Congratulations!
- May everything in your life be nice, may good things happen just like your twins - twice. Congratulations.
- You’re about to have double the happiness and double the cuddles, you will also have double the cries and double the troubles. Congratulations, in double.
- Having twins is symbolic of the fact that you always have more love to give than you think you have.
- This baby is as much a blessing to you as you are to them. Congratulations to you all!
- Adoption is an act of true love and selflessness. You’re a truly special couple and deserve so much happiness. Best wishes and huge congratulations!
- Today, two dreams have come true. You’ve become parents at last, and your new baby has found a family. You’ve both so lucky to have each other. Congratulations.
- The long journey of adoption finally comes to an end, and we cannot wait to see the beautiful child in your home. Congratulations on your dreams being fulfilled.
- Your new child has been given a life it would never have thought possible. I’m so pleased for you both!
- Congratulations! If there’s anything we can do to help just ask. We know how daunting it must be at first, but you’ll make great parents.
- On this special day and always may God look down on you, cherish you and keep you safely in his care.
- May God grant your little one all the blessings of His gentle love and may [Name] enjoy a lifetime of health and happiness. Congratulations!
- Congratulations on [Name]’s Christening. Hope all of you have a wonderful day and wish you all a life blessed with love, health, and happiness.
- Thank you for inviting us for the Baptism and Christening function of your little one. May your little one be showered with love from above. Blessings!
- This is a great milestone for [Name]. May today be a special and memorable one.
Celebrate taking on a new and challenging task, moving into a home, or one’s new found freedom. Make sure to congratulate your friend, family member or coworker on their hard work with a celebratory message! We know it's important for you to show how excited you are for their journey, and the messages below will help you the right words to honor them.
- Congratulations on the new address, the new house, and all of the new experiences that you will have as a homeowner.
- We’re all very excited that you’ve finally moved in! Wishing you all the best with your new home - hope it works out perfectly.
- May the windows and doors of your new home open up to good luck, prosperity, and fortune for your entire family. Congratulations.
- We’re happy and excited for you that your search is finally over and that you have found everything that you wanted in a house. Enjoy it!
- I love your new home so much that I can see myself living there. I’m still waiting for my key?
- Well done on moving houses... please send me your Wi-Fi password in advance. Thanks.
- Your new pile of bricks is so much better than your old one - congrats!
- You’re home! Please let you new neighbors know that I send my condolences.
- Congratulations! I may have not been around to help you pack and move, but I’m more than happy to come drink wine with you while you settle in.
- Don’t forget to spend a little of your extra time with us. We’re so happy for you!
- Enjoy working at living, instead of living at work.
- Well done on climbing the mountain, now you can finally enjoy the view!
- Welcome to happy Mondays!
- To the person who gave their best, cheers to your retirement! May you have the best and most fulfilling one. Enjoy!
- Cherish every moment you’ll spend outside the work. It’s time to enjoy your life. Happy Retirement!
To a Coworker:
- Congratulations on your retirement! Although to be honest, I could have sworn you stopped working years ago.
- The office isn’t going to be the same without you. Congrats on retirement!
- We’re all going to really miss doing your work for you.
- It’s been great working with you. Remember to relax and have fun, and avoid anything that resembles work for as long as possible.
- Enjoy your new found freedom and make the most of it. Happy retirement.
Good Luck Messages:
- Wishing you the very best with [event], though I know you’ll crush it.
- Every day is a gift. May your life bring you only pleasant and good things and you treasure every moment. Good luck.
- There’s no limit to the amazing things you’ll do. Good luck!
- May good and inspiring thoughts come to you every time you need them the mot. And, may all bad thoughts go away and never turn up anymore! Think positively and good luck!
- Don’t stress. Do your best. Forget the rest. Good luck!
- Luck is not found but made by those who are determined and you are one such person.
- Good luck to you as you move onto the next stage in your life. Without a doubt, you will continue to have success in all areas!
- Wishing you all the luck in the world! You’re going to do amazing!
Anniversaries mark an important date filled with wonderful memories and meaning. Bring joy to the occasion with an anniversary card. The message can be personalized for your specific event whether it may be an important date shared with your significant other, a significant amount of time spent with your company, or the recollection of a historic happening. Celebrate the milestones in life with an anniversary card!
For Significant Others:
- Happy anniversary to the only person in the world that I want beside me every day and every night for the rest of my life. I love you, sweetheart. Happy Anniversary!
- I’ll continue to feel grateful as you continue to love me and accept my faults. Here’s to another year with you!
- Forever wouldn’t be long enough with you. Happy anniversary, with all my love.
- Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me, but then I remember that I put up with you too, so that makes us even. I love you!
- I appreciate your love, understanding, listening, humor, flexibility and energy. I know loving me is hard work.
For the Couple:
- You guys are an inspiration! Congratulations on so many years together.
- Knowing you two are together brings me comfort and hope.
- We’re happy to wish you another happy anniversary. It’s a blessing to see you two together. You’re obviously still crazy about each other.
- Congratulations on another anniversary that proves that you are blessed with each other.
- Even though the years continue to pass, may the love that you share only continue to grow stronger with time. Happy Anniversary!
For the In-Laws:
- I am new in your family, but your love makes me feel I've always been here. You've both created this incredible family with your hearts and your love. You are the sweetest couple in the world and seeing you together gives all of us great joy. Happy anniversary.
- You both provide such a stable, successful, and long-lasting example of love. What you lack in perfection, you make up in consistency.
- Thank you for being so committed to your family. Your relationship has been a constant that our family can depend on even as it grows larger.
For a Work Anniversary:
- This is to remind you that you have come a long way and your contributions have continued to inspire us. Wishing you a very Happy Work Anniversary!
- Congratulations, you made it another year without being fired!
- You bring professionalism, dedication, and passion to this organization. Congratulations on your work anniversary.
- You are an inspiration to others. Your dedication to your work is exemplary. Thank you for making a difference in our lives. Happy work anniversary!
- With each passing year, you bring creativity and a strong work ethic to the team.
Life is full of many milestones that all deserve to be celebrated! Getting older and maturing is a sign of growth. Coming of Age cards are important to many occasions including bar mitzvahs, quinceañeras and communions. Read the following prompts for inspiration on what to include in your coming of age card.
Bar & Bat Mitzvah:
- We love you and we’re so proud of you today and always. Mazel tov on your Bar/Bat Mitzvah!
- Wishing you so much happiness as you celebrate your Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- It’s exciting to see you grow up to become such a dynamic young man/woman. We hope you have an awesome Bar/Bat Mitzvah!
- So proud of the dedicated way you’ve prepared for this day. Great job and mazel tov!
- You’re finally a grownup. It’s about time. Mazel tov!
- We are so excited that we get to celebrate your coming of age celebration!
- It’s been wonderful seeing you grow into the beautiful person you are! Blessings to you on your La Quinceañera.
- All the very best wishes for the beautiful young lady on her 15th birthday! Enjoy the day to the fullest, Happy Birthday!
- This is a special day for girls all around the world, a sign of maturity, beauty and youth all together at once. Cheers and Happy Quinceañera!
- I wish nothing but a wonderful and bright future for you. Here’s to you and many successes in your life. Happy 15th birthday!
- Happy Quinceañera! The night is young, the lights are hung, so many songs... are waiting to be sung. It’s dia’s sweet 15 … Come, let’s dance the night away!
- Congratulations on your First Holy Communion. May you continue to grow in the grace of God.
- On this blessed day, may you remember the eternal love of our Lord Jesus Christ as you receive your First Holy Communion. Congratulations on this step of faith.
- Sending all my love and support on this special day. Enjoy every moment and do your best to honor and celebrate God every chance you get! Happy Confirmation!
- Congratulations on your first holy communion, dear child. May the love of Jesus shine in your heart now and forever.
- The gifts of the Holy Spirit strengthen you making you a witness of Christ’s love. May you always live your faith with joy.