Favor Box Printing
Ah, the power to print Paper Source style! From envelopes to favor boxes, we'll teach you how to print directly onto keen Paper Source products that go beyond printing onto an ordinary sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper. Spice things up a bit and do something creative!
These printing techniques were developed using the Epson® Stylus Photo RX595 all-in-one printer/copier/scanner. (We think this machine is divine!) Note that if you are using a different all-in-one printer model at home, these instructions may not apply. Other Epson models these techniques work with include: RX580, RX680, and CX9400FAX.
exacto knife & straight edge
removable double-sided tape
photos or images
- Download the PDF printing template for your favor box and print three copies. The first copy will be used to create a photo placement guide, the second will be used to do a test print and the third will be used to feed the favor box through the printer. Review template for photo placement suggestions, match lines, directions for feeding and all other information before getting started.
- Choose your photo or image. (See tips below.)
- Decide where you want your photo to go. Place a small piece of removable double-sided tape onto the back of your photo and adhere it to the desired project print template in the appropriate place.
- Carefully trace around the photo with pencil and remove the photo when finished.
- Using an exacto knife & straight edge, cut out the traced photo area. This will create a window in the print template that will help you place your photo later.
- Take the print template (now with window cut out) and place it directly on top of a clean sheet of copy paper.
- Place a small piece of removable double-sided tape on the back of your photo and set into the window, making sure the photo is facing the correct direction. Press photo into place and lift the print template away. The bottom blank sheet with the photo attached is the copy sheet that you will print from.
- Lift lower right corner of copy sheet. Flip paper over and place this corner into the upper left corner of the scanner bed (photo-side down). Correct corner will be marked with an arrow on the scanner bed of the printer. Your sheet should now be horizontal.
- Load the second copy of the print template (face up) into the paper tray of the printer. Print a test copy onto this sheet by pressing the START button. Double check photo placement and direction. Make adjustments as needed.
- You're almost ready to print! Because of the curves and flaps of the favor box, you will need to attach it to a sheet of copy paper that will help carry it through the printer. To do this, first add removable double-sided tape to the back of the favor box along the bottom edge only. Then adhere the favor box to the third copy of the print template by placing it directly over the favor box outline. The attached layers (favor box and copy) will both go through the printer at the same time when you print.
- Insert the taped favor box (facing up) into the back feed tray of the printer. You may have to guide the sheet. Press the START button and Voila! You now have an amazing photo printed directly onto your favor box! (For printing multiples, these need to be feed one at a time.)
- Carefully remove the favor box from the print template paper and assemble as per the favor box instructions. If you are making multiple prints you can reuse your print templates for photo placement as well as feeding through the printer.
- Keep size in mind when selecting images. Wallets, 2 1/2" x 3 3/4", 3 1/2" x 5" and some 4" x 6" work for placement. (Image size featured on template is 2 1/2" x 3 3/4", or a 4" x 6" reduced 65%)
- It's easiest to print onto your project when your image is the correct size. If you need to reduce or enlarge an image, do this first on a separate sheet of paper to test your reproduction scaling. When size is determined, create a new original on a sheet of glossy paper, cut and you are ready to print.
- To re-size a 4" x 6" photo to fit smaller window cut-outs use the following as approximates:
- For a 3 1/2" x 5" size image, reduce 4" x 6" by approximately 85%.
- For a 3" x 4 1/4" size image, reduce 4" x 6" by approximately 75%.
- For a 2 1/2" x 3 3/4" size image, reduce 4" x 6" by approximately 65%.
- Take care when working with old photos, especially with the double stick tapes. Be gentle!
- Darker photos do not reproduce very well. Choose a photo with good tonal ranges.
- If creating a collage of images (for pyramid box and pillow box) use these steps: First cut away the entire shape of the print template. Then arrange your collage onto a separate plain sheet of paper. Place the window-like print template over the photo arrangement to make sure you like the placement of your images. Next, adhere images (using removable double-stick tape) in place before inverting layout onto the scanner bed.
- Reproducing images onto dark papers is not recommended (the image quality isn't always easy to read). We love our ivory, white and soft white stocks for these projects!
You will need Adobe Acrobat 6 or higher to properly print out these
templates. Make sure when you print this out that on the Page Scaling
option, you choose None. If you do not have this on your computer, the
latest version of Adobe Acrobat can be downloaded for free here: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.